- About Julia
Hi! I’m Julia, a travel photographer in Philadelphia. Within a few months in 2015, I graduated from Meredith College (go Avenging Angels!), moved from North Carolina to Philly, and adopted Annika the husky, my travel buddy and sidekick. Once things settled down, I decided to create this travel photography blog to document my new adventures in Philadelphia and around the world! 🙂
So to get to know me better, here are 11 fun facts about me:
- I’m a huge history and Viking nerd. I’m so obsessed that I spent my last semester in college researching and writing a 45-page thesis disputing Viking stereotypes using Icelandic sagas.
- Because of my obsession with Vikings, I spent a semester studying them in Denmark and exploring all over Europe. I even got to sail a Viking ship! (It’s way harder than it looks) I love all things Scandinavia, and I just took a class on Old Norse at Fordham University and I volunteer at the local American Swedish museum. I recently spent another month studying Vikings in Denmark and I’m now a graduate student at Villanova University!
- In case you couldn’t guess from my travel photography website, I love travelling! Along with my European escapades in college (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Estonia, Northern Ireland, France, and Ireland), I’ve been to Mexico, Italy, The Bahamas, and Germany. I’ve also visited 42 U.S. states, four Canadian provinces, almost 30 U.S. Presidential homes (fun fact: Ulysses S. Grant’s wife’s name was Julia Dent!), and numerous National Parks (my favorite is Yellowstone).
- When I travel, I love finding hidden gems, exploring small towns and capturing local life, which you’ll see a lot of in my posts. I’m also pretty obsessed with taking photos of colorful places.
- I’m the second oldest of five kids (we’re all super loud and crazy when we’re together).
- I LOVE spicy food! I put Cajun seasoning on almost everything, and I never eat popcorn without it 🙂
- Along with being a history nerd, I love classic books. Jane Austen is basically my hero, and other favorite books include Jane Eyre, Anna Karenina, Agnes Grey, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and Age of Innocence.
- I have 4 pairs of Converses, and my favorites are bright yellow! I may have size 12 feet, but I still rock my Converses, and I travel with them all the time 🙂
- In college, I created my own major (Media Writing) and had five minors: Photography, International Studies, History, Environmental Sustainability, and Professional Writing. I did all that (as well as lots of jobs) because my dream job is to be a photojournalist for National Geographic!
- I love classical music, and Philip Wesley is my favorite.
- I am obsessed with old film cameras, and I collect old black-and-white photographs. I’m hoping to have a darkroom in my future house!
I am a freelance Virtual Assistant and photographer (and I recently starting an online photography store!), and you can read all about that recent transition in my exciting post about how I quit my job! You can also learn more about me with my How Well Do You Know Me? post, more about Philadelphia with my 11 Things I’ve Learned Living in Philadelphia and Four Days in Philadelphia posts, and more about my experience with blogging with my 9 Things I Learned My First Year of Blogging post! I hope you enjoy my travel photography blog! 🙂
Disclaimer: All photographs are taken by and copyrighted by Julia Dent unless otherwise indicated. Use of any of my photos for any purpose is violating copyright law.