- About Julia
Hi! I’m Julia, a travel photographer in Philadelphia. After I moved from North Carolina to Philly (and adopted Annika the husky), and I decided to create this travel photography blog to document my new adventures in Philadelphia and around the world! 🙂 When I’m not traveling, I’m attending grad school and I run my own business, Julia Renee Consulting, LLC!
So to get to know me better, here are 9 fun facts about me:
- I’m a huge history and Viking nerd. Because of my obsession with Vikings, I spent a semester studying them in Denmark, and I spent my last semester in college researching and writing a 45-page thesis disputing Viking stereotypes using Icelandic sagas. I love all things Scandinavia, and I just took a class on Old Norse at Fordham University and I volunteer at the local American Swedish museum. I recently spent another month studying Vikings in Denmark and I’m now a graduate student at Villanova University!
- During my first semester of studying abroad in Denmark, I met my fiance, Matt 🙂 We have a pretty unique love story, and you can read all about it on Our Danish Love Story | Engagement Photoshoot in Old City Philadelphia!
- I have traveled to Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Estonia, Northern Ireland, France, Ireland, Mexico, Italy, The Bahamas, the Faroe Islands, and Germany. I’ve also visited 42 U.S. states, four Canadian provinces, almost 30 U.S. Presidential homes (fun fact: Ulysses S. Grant’s wife’s name was Julia Dent!), and numerous National Parks (my favorite is Yellowstone).
- When I travel, I love finding hidden gems, exploring small towns, and capturing local life, which you’ll see a lot of in my posts. I’m also pretty obsessed with taking photos of colorful places.
- Like I mentioned before, I run my own business! I founded Julia Renee Consulting, LLC, and I do SEO consulting and marketing strategy for small businesses. I documented my journey from quitting my job to failing as a freelancing to becoming a business owner on my freelancing posts.
- I’m the second oldest of five kids (3 boys and 2 girls!).
- I LOVE spicy food! I put Cajun seasoning on almost everything, and I never eat popcorn without it 🙂
- In college, I created my own major (Media Writing) and had five minors: Photography, International Studies, History, Environmental Sustainability, and Professional Writing. I did all that (as well as lots of jobs) because my dream job is to be a photojournalist for National Geographic!
- I am obsessed with old film cameras, and I collect old black-and-white photographs. I’m hoping to have a darkroom in my future house!
Learn more about me:
Disclaimer: All photographs are taken by and copyrighted by Julia Dent unless otherwise indicated. Use of any of my photos for any purpose is violating copyright law.